Episode: 18 See Jane Build an A Team with Whitney Johnson
If you’re ready to take your vision or idea to the next level, and surround yourself with an A-Team, this is the episode for you.
Today’s guest, Whitney Johnson, was instrumental in the early stages of See Jane Invest. Her advice and perspective really gave me a wonderful place to start. On top of being a personal mentor, Whitney has been named one of 50 Leading Business Thinkers, according to Thinkers 50, in the whole world. She’s also is part of the original cohort of Marshall Goldsmith's 100 Coaches, and has been a Harvard Business Review contributor and a LinkedIn Influencer.
During our conversation, we’ll dig into Whitney’s new book, Build an A-Team: Play to Their Strengths and Lead Them Up the Learning Curve. As an expert on disruptive innovation and personal disruption, Whitney developed her proprietary framework and diagnostics after co-founding The Disruptive Innovation Fund, with Harvard Business School's Clayton Christensen.
- Whitney explains why her book (A-Team) was needed in the market now.
- Hear how I reached out to Whitney right as I was starting See Jane Invest
- Learn about when to shift roles to accommodate your team member and when to let the member go and find someone new.
- We discuss taking the blinders off during the interview process and finding the right person for the job -- even if they don’t have direct experience.
- Find out when to expect people’s natural pivoting instinct to kick in as they move along the learning curve of their position
- Whitney talks about the balance between bringing experience to a new role but not being arrogant.